
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not much of a book reader AT ALL. I will read articles on things I am interested in or even portions of a book I am interested in but I am not one to just pick up a novel and read for enjoyment.
I was at work one day in March and came across an article in the Toronto Star about Xue Xinran a woman from China who has written a couple of books and in particular they were talking about her latest book to be released called " Message from an unknown Chinese Mother"
"Xinran has gained entrance to the most pained, secret chambers in the hearts of Chinese mothers—students, successful businesswomen, midwives, peasants—who have given up their daughters. Whether as a consequence of the single-child policy, destructive age-old traditions, or hideous economic necessity, these women had to give up their daughters for adoption; others even had to watch as their baby daughters were taken away at birth and drowned. Her searing stories of mothers who have been driven to abandon their daughters or give them up for adoption is a masterful and significant work of literary reportage and oral history".
I was instantly intrigued by her article and decided that this was definitely a book I was going to read. I have since purchased the book and at first couldn't put it down but she tells some very sad stories and to be honest I have not read a lot of it lately. I am most definitely going to finish this book but it may take me a little longer than I originally thought. I think it is an important book for me to read and possibly one day for Mhyia to read as well but that will be a LONG time from now - I am not sure if I would ever want her to read it??
Has anyone out there read it? What are your thoughts - is this something you would want your daughters to read??

2 comments:
I have never heard of this book but I just went and reserved it at the library. If I'm actually able to get through it, I'll let you know what I think. :)
k
Loved it. Brings a lot of perspective to how lucky we are to live where we do. Gives some answers to the question "why". I imagine the decision that each mother made for the sake of their child and realize it is never easy and never forgotten.
I also read another book of hers that talked about more of the political and cultural plights of the Chinese women. Very interesting as well.
I will have Ava read these when she is ready. It will be great insight and may give her some of the answers she may seek.
Post a Comment