About a month ago or so our agency sent us the links and information for the immigration paper work we need to fill out for Mhyia. To be honest I looked at it quickly but we decided that Mike would look after this part since he was familiar with a lot of this kind of stuff from work. Thank goodness - it all looks very confusing. We were taking our time getting to it but after last months huge batch it got us thinking we better get on it "just in case" apparently it can take up to 6 months to have this completed, depending on which route you go.
There is now two ways that you can bring your child back to Canada - "as a landed immigrant" or "as a Canadian citizen" at first we were going to go landed immigrant route because there could be some kind of issues with Mhyia's children's children not being Canadian citizens if she marries a non Canadian citizen and if the child is born outside of Canada (or something like that). The more we thought about it and read about it and looked at all the paper work etc... we decided that we would go the Canadian citizen route. Which means that she will travel to Canada with a Canadian passport and land in Canada as a Canadian citizen!!
Mike took care of doing all the paper work and having everything notarized at the lawyers, paying on line and making copies. It was so great!!
Today we sent it off to the Citizenship office - we now wait to hear back from them and then that is it until we return to Canada with her - then I believe we have to send in a "part 2" within a year. I am not sure exactly what that is for but I know that Daddy is on it LOL!!
Good job Daddy!!



3 comments:
Congrats on getting that out of the way! We went the same route as you.
BTW, they go over the forms with a fine tooth comb. I had sent them a notarized copy of my birth certificate, but I was contacted by them because I didn't have the *back* of it notarized as well. The only thing on the back is a map of Ontario...I was tempted to post a "You are here" sticker on it. :P
You will need to help us if we ever get there!
lea
xo
An exciting step for sure!!! Hannah came home the citizenship route and I've never regretted it! She traveled home using her Chinese Passport but was a Canadian citizen the moment her feet touched Canadian soil! (Just moments before we saw you at the airport!!)
If you have any questions about the paperwork I'm happy to share our experience. There was a form I needed to fill out after we returned home that I didn't realize I needed in order to apply for her Part II and then after that her passport.
Lots of paperwork but totally worth it! 9/10 babies in our group chose the new route and the one that chose the old faced many delays.
SO exciting that you're at this point in your adoption of sweet Mhyia!!!
Post a Comment