Saturday, June 2, 2012

China Day 3 - June 2nd


Well we went to bed around 9:00pm last night and then we woke up around 1:30.  We were able to get back to sleep but were both up by 4:45am.  I don't know if this is jet lag or what?  I physically feel fine but my clock is just completely off and it doesn't matter if I stay up later or got to bed earlier it is just off?  By the afternoon we are usually so tired we have to have a quick nap which I did do today but only for less than an hour in the hopes I would sleep better tonight?  Mike slept pretty much from about 5pm on until I made him come downstairs with me for a little while - he is very tired in the afternoons.  I am sure we will get adjusted just in time to fly home LOL!!

Today we got up, headed downstairs for breakfast did our daily Skype or FaceTime to anyone who was around!!

I had met a lady online through my Yunnan yahoo group who had adopted a little girl a couple of years ago and also went through our Children's Bridge agency.  Her and her husband and daughter now live in Beijing so we had arranged to meet each other while we were here.  We met the three of them in the lobby at 10:00am and headed out to do some shopping etc..down Wangfujing street.

Wangfujing street is "the" popular, modern shopping street here in Beijing.  It is almost like you are down town Toronto with all the big billboards and all the popular stores, yet it also has some areas that have the old mixed in.  No cars drive up and down this part of the street, it is blocked off and they have to drive around it.  It has all the big names like Gucci, Rolex, Cartier, Nike, Gap, Forever 21 is opening soon lol.  Apparently yesterday was National Children's day so the large 7 floor Children's store was having a sale and fashion show on the street - the models were sooooo cute and their posing was hilarious!!







We also went to a 7 floor bookstore which was amazing!  It was noisy - there are just so many people that there is always a hum of noise.  We were able to get some Mandarin/English books for Mhyia.  Mike is actually doing VERY well with his Mandarin.  He carries his book with him and everyone comments on how well he can speak the phrases!!





Fruit on a stick dipped in boiling sugar.
We all went for lunch in the mall at a noodle shop - I wasn't hungry so I didn't eat but Mike LOVED his meal!!  It was huge and cost 34rmb which is just over $6.  Oh I actually did get a DQ blizzard later and Mike got a Starbucks!




We parted ways with our friends and headed back down the street - it is amazing how many people are out on this street.  You would almost think it was a festival or something?  Everyone is out and about,some are just hanging out, some of the kids are playing in the fountains, some people are sleeping on benches etc...there is just so many people - It is actually soooo nice!!  The weather was perfect today, sunny and warm but with a nice breeze.  In the morning they said the pollution index was 258 which means nothing to me but apparently when it reaches 10 in Toronto they put out a warning?!


We headed down a little side street which I think is where they have the night market.  It is called the "Jinye Hutong".  Here we saw some interesting food choices/snacks.  They sell these starfish on a stick and then also sticks with seahorses and scorpions - when we got close to take a picture we realized that the scorpions were still moving....ugh.





They also have these blood donation buses out in all the high traffic areas - you can go and donate right there in the bus!


On our way back we stopped at this big Catholic church - so beautiful, there were a couple of weddings there today, it is a popular place for couples to get wedding pictures taken apparently.  Mike and I went in to the church and it reminded me so much of St. Augustine's where we got married.







For the rest of the afternoon we just hung out, checked emails, re-packed our suitcases to head to Kunming tomorrow, exchanged some money etc...  The other couple heading to Kunming arrived tonight so we will probably see them tomorrow.  We have to be in the lobby tomorrow morning for 9:00am to head to the Airport.

Ahhhhhh we are heading to Kunming tomorrow!!  I can't believe it, we are getting Mhyia Monday - it is unbelievable and to be honest it still hasn't sunk in, I don't think it will until after we have her.  She turns 9months tomorrow and we can't wait to meet her!!


5 comments:

Asian Princess said...

That shopping street is neat eh? I so remember that place...it took us a crazy cab ride to get there but we did enjoy it. That was where I finally found some real food...McDonalds...lol. I struggled with the food in China so McDonalds and Pizza Hut were my staples. I wish I had known about DQ though that would have been a fabulous addition to my menu.

That is so neat that you were able to meet up with people that you knew...gives the trip an extra special memory.

Loving all the pictures and posts...thanks for sharing your journey! We'll check back in soon looking for that first photo of a beautiful family of 3!!!!!

wustaz said...

OMG guys.... this is real can you believe it??? we are sitting here on pins and needles for you. what an amazing adventure. I can't wait to see her tomorrow. My heart is so full of joy.

Catherine said...

Oh Tammy! TOMORROW is Mhyia day! 1 day. A little more than 24 hours. You can almost count it in minutes!!!

Sounds like you had a great day and are soaking in much of China. You'll be glad you did this as once Mhyia is here you'll be so focused on her that you probably won't be taking things in at the rate that you are now. Enjoy!!

Praying for a safe flight with no delays. What time do you get Mhyia tomorrow?

Mike, Terri and Ava said...

Sounds like you are having an amazing time! You are much more adventurous than we were. I guess there is benefits of not being in a large group. You can do what ever you like.
I can hardly wait to see Mhyia in your arms! It is a moment you will never forget!

Unknown said...

we were in China adopting our second daughter kendra, and we were there on Childrens' Day also. Thanks for the memories! I had almost forgotten about it. It was neat! I am enjoying reading your posts of your trip. Can't wait until you post about getting Mhyia.
Laurie Nesbitt
Tillsonburg, Ontario