Sunday, June 3, 2012

China Day 4 - June 3rd


Mhyia is 9months today!!  We are flying to Kunming today...sooooo exciting!

Okay so yesterday I was awake from approx 4:45 am until 10:30pm with one little power nap and I still was up this morning at 2:58 but made myself lay there dozing on and off until 4am.  This is ridiculous LOL.

We met our other travel group couple today and they are very nice, we seem to get along great!!  We headed to the airport around 9am this morning, got checked in and waited for our flight - of course it was delayed but only by about 45 min.  We had to take a bus from the gate to our plane waiting out in the middle of the airport and we had to walk up stairs to board - so strange?  The flight was great actually, it wasn't full so we had all three seats to ourselves, I slept for most of it and we actually got served a full meal which I was surprised considering it was only a 3hr flight.  The flight attendants would stand in the aisle at the beginning and end of the flight and bow after the captain thanked us for flying China Eastern Air.  Once we got off the plane we got our luggage and Norman our guide was waiting for us.  He seems soooo nice, he was telling us about Kunming City and he was so excited that we were adopting babies from here etc.





Once we got the the hotel which was about a 10 min drive we headed inside - the lobby was nice but I honestly had a bad feeling about this hotel since we were told we were staying there.  First of all they had us booked in for rooms with two twin beds and then tried to tell us that is was more expensive to have a King bed room - I pulled out our print out of what we paid for and it clearly stated King so Norman quickly took care of this.  Once we got off the elevator the stench of cigarette smoke was soooooo bad we couldn't stand it, the carpets are filthy, the wallpaper is ripped it was just disgusting.  Once we entered our room the smell of smoke wasn't there for us but it was really bad in the other couples room.  Right away they moved Mike and I to a room one floor down because our room wasn't big enough to put a crib in.  The next room was bigger and didn't smell like smoke either but it is so disgusting, the furniture is just old and stained, I wouldn't walk on the carpet without shoes, the one chair is ripped etc... And here is the WORST part.....yes there is more....the beds are ROCK hard and I am not kidding ROCK hard I didn't even know they made mattresses like that for a minute I thought it was just the box spring - with all sincerity I might as well belaying on the floor.  I called the other couple and we were all in agreement this is disgusting and we need to get out - we called out guide Norman and he said he was going to contact the travel service and see what they can do.  Our crib came which again leaves a little to be desired - it is just all so ugh..... Mike and I can't wait to get back to Beijing.  About an hour later we were up in the Madeline's room and we were looking for other options etc... and then the manager explained to us that tomorrow we would be moving to single bed rooms - that we only had these beds for one night?  WHAT?  We explained to her that we have babies coming tomorrow and we need these rooms with a king bed (certainly would not let them play on the floor) and that is what we requested!  Apparently the hotel is full as of Monday because there is some kind of business trade fair in town - great so our chances of going to another hotel are probably slim to none.... we will see what happens tomorrow.

Smiling.. obviously before we saw our room!
The whole thing is so sad it has just seemed to ruin what should have been a nice last night before we get the babies etc... we should have come to the hotel, they should have known we were coming and had the cribs already in our rooms etc... it is BS.  Our agency has already been called and we will have to see what we can do tomorrow if anything?  I am currently typing this post at 3:30am in the morning because I wake up every 30 min laying on this rock, my back is actually aching sitting on it typing this.  If we have to stay here Mike and I are going to the Walmart and getting an air mattress to put on the bed.  We tried to put some extra comforters underneath us but no better.

On another note we get Mhyia tomorrow (today)!!! I don't even know what I am feeling - this hotel thing has put such a damper on this for all of us.  I can't believe we are going to see her and hold her and then have her forever aaahhhhhhh I am excited, nervous, scared etc.... we have to meet in the lobby at 8:30am and we are heading over so I guess the next post will be the one everyone has been waiting for!  Stay tuned!!

I will update you on the crack hotel tomorrow as well.


7 comments:

Sherri said...

Wow, on the rooms, smoke and everything else. The beds for sure are rock hard...we were told that for years while waiting and they were not kidding...those beds are hard. And I couldn't agree more on this being BS!

The room we stayed in while in Nanchang were really nice. We never had a bad room in any hotel we stayed at. I have been watching closing for that baby post...oh my gosh, you are heading out if not already right now being it's morning there. Can't wait to see pictures.

Rhonda said...

What a nightmare! *hugs*

Nancy said...

Can you check to see if the Green Lake Hotel is available. Way more spendy but gorgeous and a great location. I stayed there when I adopted my son 6 years ago...not through your agency though...Doesn't hurt to check it out.
I had an awful hotel experience on my first trip. It does put a damper on the night before baby.
It fades when you get to hold her though...Enjoy the ride.

Catherine said...

Waiting excitedly for the Mhyia post as she should be in your arms by now! Hoping holding your little love will help the room seem not so bad. We dealt with a smoky room in Beijing and it was awful as I wanted to protect my little love with all I had. Praying for you. Praying for your sweet dd who today met her mommy and daddy for the very first time! Yay!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pictures of you with her (I am checking every hour:-) I hope you get things worked out concerning the hotel--sounds awful!

Anonymous said...

Anna and I have been thinking about you, wishing you well as the journey finally gets to the beginning of another. I keep checking the blog for news (awesome pics by the way). By now you must have held Mhyia. Please accept our congratulations; our love too. This must be an incredibly stressful time, but know that you are going to be fine… better, in fact. We’re very, very happy for you. -cja

Lisa said...

Did you stay in the Kunming City Hotel? If so, that is the WORST hotel you could be at. We stayed in Jan. 2010 and I try to warn others not to stay there. Scary for sure and not many place to eat around it. I recognize the baked macaroni, we ate that a lot. You daughter is beautiful and soon you will be home and boot camp for baby will be over. Kunming was a hard stay for us too. I totally get that. Our son is from Kunming. Someday I think we will go back - but never to that hotel!