Well today
was.....LONG!!
We got up and finished up some things around the house, packed some last minute things etc... Mike went to meet his Mom, Dad and Lisa for breakfast while I finished packing, tidying up and got a shower. I noticed everything I did I would think to myself "this is the last night we will sleep in our bed without Mhyia here", "this is the last time I will shower in my house without Mhyia here", it is very surreal.
We had MANY
phone calls of well wishes which was very nice, everyone kept saying to me
"you must be soooo excited" and yes I am very excited but it is so
hard to be so excited with so many unknowns ahead of you! Of course we
are so excited to get Mhyia but I must admit I was not looking forward to the
13hr flight, not looking forward to not knowing where we were in China and not
being able to communicate with everyone, read signs etc...
My parents
dropped us off at the airport and we headed in - it took us less than 5 min to
check our bags and get through security etc... When we got to our gate we
noticed that our flight was now saying delayed until 5:20....seriously?
We walked around a little and sat around for a while only to discover our
flight was delayed AGAIN until 7pm and then later until 7:20pm.
We had a bite to eat and FINALLY got to board our plane. We didn't
actually back out until 8:13pm so 5hrs and 20min late.
The flight
was okay, just very very very long! We had dinner,drinks, soup and
sandwich, and a breakfast. We didn't want to sleep too much but you
really have nothing better to do - I must admit by the end I was literally
going crazy. I an NOT looking forward to the flight home, other than I
will be home! I ended up talking to some of the flight attendants during
our flight and discovered the one lady lived in Dundas where Mike grew up and
lived on the same street as Mike did as a child - small world!!
We landed
in Beijing around 9:00pm and by the time we got off, went through
immigration, got our luggage and then found our guide it was just
after 10pm. Our guide Ray and our driver Duke (gotta love the names
lol) took us to the hotel - because we were so late the traffic was totally
normal and it only took about 30min!
We finally made it up to our room which is okay? Nothing fancy, if I was home and staying here, well I would not stay here lol. The lobby is beautiful, the beds are hard as everyone has said but we like them a lot!! We boiled some water so we could use it in the morning to brush our teeth and went to bed.
All in all
I am not loving the feeling of being somewhere so different from home and
somewhere where I can't read the signs and can't understand anyone - it
is a weird feeling, kind of unsettling but I am sure today will be better
now that we have gotten some sleep.
It is now 4:37am and I am up typing this post - sorry it is so long but I just really want to try to capture everything that happens because I know I will not remember all the details later!
That is it for now - I will post about Day 2 later tonight!







3 comments:
The best is yet to come!
Oh Tammy! You're in CHINA!!! Sorry to hear of all your flight delays. That stinks! It's a challenge for sure getting used to someplace new where you don't know the language, smells, sights...anything. When I was there I tried to capture those moments just as you are as I realized those were the exact same things Hannah would be feeling 2 weeks later but even more so as she wouldn't have a clue what was happening to her.
Hope you're able to get your clocks flipped a bit. You're wise to go early and do that before Mhyia's arrival. Excited to read your next post!
Praying for you and for your sweet, precious Mhyia.
Praise God you made it safely! I'm so very very excited for you. And don't worry about the post being long, because people are going to enjoy reading them like myself. It brings back memories for me only being there about 3.5 months ago. Looking forward to all your post! Again I have the biggest smile on my face for you two, soon to be 3.
Sherri from Florida
Post a Comment