Monday, February 7, 2011

Baby items - Research Day!!

We have not really looked to closely at anything baby related because it has always been so far away but this year while looking at our budget for the year we thought maybe we should start to plan for some possible baby items (maybe by the end of the year, fingers crossed). I/we just wanted to get a sense of what is out there and what kind of price range we would be looking at for the items we want.

So mid January we headed out a local store that carries all kinds of baby items and they are extremely knowledgeable in the areas of strollers and carseats, which would be two of our bigger purchases. This store has been around for 50+ years and they not only sell strollers but also do all the servicing on them so I know they know what they are talking about!

Even though the news at the time was not promising as far a referrals go we still thought, Why not, it will be fun to act like we actually have a child on the way LOL!!

The first thing we saw that we fell in love with was this humidifier - okay not something we needed to be looking at right now but I couldn't help myself - I LOVE pigs!! It is so cute and we actually wanted to get a humidifier regardless, to help with some of the dryness during the winter so yes I bought it!! LOL I couldn't resist!


Next we looked at highchairs, I really love the highchair and plan on using it for quite a while, I know some friends have the chairs that go onto an actual kitchen chair - I am not a fan - I like the convenience of a highchair, I like that I can wheel it around, easily clean it etc... I want a good highchair that will last, one that I can easily clean and one that I can store away in the main floor laundry room if I want it out of the way, also one that i can raise or lower to allow her to sit at the table as well. This is the one I have decided on, I LOVE it, it is the Peg Perego, leather seat, removable trays etc... it has everything I want - now lets hope they don't discontinue it before I need it!

Our next item was a stroller, there was one I was interested in and I am so glad that I spoke with them about it, he doesn't even stock it in their store because apparently it is a beast - heavy and really big (even folded). We looked at a whole bunch and again there were things that I wanted; the handle to be able to raise, a cup holder, big basket, full recline, easy steering, possibly be able to do some light jogging with it, light and compact. I think we found one that has all of these and I like the look of - it is the Valco - Tri mode ex - we both really liked this one!

I can't decide between black and Red - I like the red but if it had more black on it I would like it more - I think we are leaning towards the black!



The last thing was carseats - we really like the Britax carseats but I have also looked at the new Radion, this one is so thin and allows more room for other passengers but I don't love the look of it, it doesn't look as comfortable as the Britax. I don't know which one we will go with, I guess we will decide when the time comes!

All in all it was a great day - so much fun to think...One day we will actually be able to make these purchases!

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments on our choices we would love to hear them!!



2 comments:

Mike, Terri and Ava said...

Carseats-Ava loves her Britax Marathon carseat. It is very comfortable. It is bigger than some seats but the safety and comfort factors make less room worth it.
Highchair-I agree with you. I like a highchair not a seat you strap to a chair. My only advice is make sure the tray is easy to clean. We got Ava a cute, not cheap highchair that has a green apple insert on the tray. Sooo cute right? Not so much when trying to clean out the little corners.
Hang in there! Its all worth it!

Jules and Danny said...

Hey Tammy,
We have the Valco Tri-mode. I like it, but don't love it. The basket is big, but difficult to get things in and out of. The full recline doesn't prop up the feet, they are left hanging down and finally the handles only go from the back. I would love to be able to change the direction of the handle for sun and wind and just to be able to be face to face with the baby for attachment and just because. The newer model may have some of these issues fixed, but check it out. I can even bring mine with Molly to a dinner sometime soon and you can try it out.
We also have the radian carseat. We used an infant carrier when she was small. The Radian does not allow that option and it was nice to be able to carry her into the house sleeping when she was still small. We use the Radian now, since about 18 months, and we love it now.
Jules